Monday, March 30, 2009

The Toman's Visit The Toman's

This past weekend, Bruce's parent's came down to the coast to visit us for a few days. After arriving in town Thursday afternoon, they treated us to one of our favorite restaurants, Jocelyn's. Unfortunately, Bruce and I didn't get to enjoy our meal too much because I don't think Brinley was feeling up to par (which only started happening after we had arrived at the restuarant. Trust me, I'm not one of those parents that drags their sick kid all over town.) That afternoon, she had only napped for an hour instead of the usual 2, and on top of that she was experiencing a little cough that she had picked up from her Daddy, who has been sick with a head cold the past few weeks. Thankfully though, I think Thursday was the worst of her 'illness' because by Friday morning she was coughing much less and by Saturday, it was almost completely gone.

Brinley showing Grandpa and Grandma that she is an expert when it comes to the game of peek-a-boo.

Anyway, back to our weekend. On Friday morning, we all went out to see Beauvoir, which is a landmark here on the coast. Beauvoir was the last home that President Jefferson Davis lived in. Not only does the home and its grounds have very interesting history, but the home itself is breathtaking. After our tour, we went back home for a simple lunch (for it is lent) and spent the afternoon relaxing in our home. That evening, I treated Joe and Cilla to some of my world-famous cheese enchiladas, spanish rice and beans. Okay, so maybe my enchiladas aren't world-famous now, but they might be one day. ;-)


Joe, Brinley, myself and Bruce infront of Beauvoir.


Brinley showing off our parenting skills to her grandparents--drinkin' and drivin'. Tsk, tsk!



Brinley loved showing Grandpa and Grandma that she knows how to roll her ball around.

Saturday morning we were in for a real treat. This past weekend happened to be the 16th Annual Herb and Garden Festival in the lovely downtown area of Ocean Springs. There were SOOO many different booths. I have to be honest that I was a little surprised at how large of an event this was in little bitty ol' Ocean Springs. There were of course booths that were selling various plants and flowers, but also there were those selling fresh vegetables and fruits, homemade breads, jellies, pickles, pasta, cookies, jerky, soaps, lotions, candles, and home decor. (I am sure that I am forgetting something...) Although I probably could have bought something from just about every booth (and I imagine Bruce is glad that I didn't), the only thing I walked away with was a bag of assorted homemade italian cookies that we all snacked on throughout the rest of the weekend, and a half a loaf of homemade bread that Joe and Cilla bought and split with us which Bruce and I finished off with a little bit of butter Sunday evening. Bruce and I will definately have to keep this festival in mind as something to attend next year...if we are still in the area. For lunch on Saturday, we decided to try out a restaurant that Bruce and I didn't even know was downtown called Bayview Gourmet. Unfortunately, I was not at all impressed. The service was incredibley slow, we saw others who were seated after us get served before us and the food really wasn't that great. Maybe there's a reason why we hadn't heard of it before. Hmmm...


Brinley being pushed around by Daddy at the Herb and Garden Festival.

To finish off the day, we decided to attend mass that evening instead of having to wake up early to catch the 10:00AM. I know 10:00AM itself isn't early, but I would have had to get up by 7:00 to get three people dressed and ready. If I can avoid getting up before 8:00AM, I try. After mass, we came home and grilled steaks, which I served with baked potatoes and salad.
Mommy and Brinley opening birthday presents from Grandpa and Grandma.

Brinley showing Grandpa and Grandma that she knows how to 'read' her favorite book--Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

Sunday morning, Joe and Cilla came over about 10:00, which is the time they had arrived the other two mornings as well. They must know after me being married to their son for almost 3 years that I am NOT a morning person. Brinley hadn't slept very well the night before (therefore Mommy hadn't slept well the night before) so shortly after they arrived, I was putting her down for her nap. Then, we had a simple lunch of sandwiches, chips, fruit, veggies and dip before they were off on their journey back home. After our guests departed, Bruce and I decided that we should take advantage of Sunday being 'the day of rest' and did just that...rested.
All photos used in this piece were taken by Bruce's mom, Cilla Toman.

No comments: