Sunday, March 22, 2009

Brinley's 12 Month Baby Wellness Visit and Other Recent Tidbits

This past Friday (03.20.09), Bruce and I took Brinley to see Dr. Shelby for her 12 month baby wellness visit. To start off, she weighed in at 23 pounds and measured 30 inches in length. Keep in mind, that when we took her for her 9 month appointment she weighed in at 22lbs., 5oz. and measured 28 inches in length. So, she hasn't really grown much--only a little bit in length. Infact, back at her nine month appointment, she was above the 95th percentile for length and at about the 90th percentile for weight. Now, she is around the 75th percentile for weight and height. All of this really didn't surprise me too much because in some brands of clothing she can still easily wear 12-18 months, which is what she started wearing way back at the end of last October! Anyway, everything else went well. Dr. Shelby was very pleased with what all she is eating, what she is physically capable of and her verbal skills at this time. The only issue I brought up is the fact that she doesn't like milk--unless it is mommy's milk--and that she is down to a few nursing sessions a day. I have tried cow's milk, rice milk, almond milk and I even got desperate enough to try vanilla flavored cow's milk (which thankfully she didn't like either. I think the combination of sugar and the high amount of sodium that is naturally cow's milk would have outweighed any benefits that should would have received from it.) From everything that I've read (and I was glad to hear Dr. Shelby reiterate it) children don't need milk past the age of one. As long as she is getting the calcium and vitamin D from other sources--and she is, she loves yogurt and cheese--than there is nothing to worry about. Of course, he recommended to keep trying it just so she'll have something else to drink (because she doesn't drink juice either), but it is not a problem if she doesn't like it. (Obviously she takes after her mommy on this matter because Bruce can easily go through 2 gallons of milk per week alone.) All in all, we don't have to go back to visit Dr. Shelby for another well baby check-up until she turns 18 months!

Brinley and Daddy Playing at G-Papa and G-Nana's.

As I'm sure most of you know, Bruce, Brinley, A'Pexi and I traveled to my grandparents' farm in South Texas to celebrate Brinley's birthday party last weekend. After all the fuss of trying to get everything put together, it turned out really well. My dad and some of my uncles bar-b-qued brisket, chicken, and ribs out at the barn all day on Saturday until the meat was falling off the bone, while the ladies put together green beans and buttered potatoes as the birthday dinner. Needless to say, it must have been good because even Miss Brinley had her share of bar-b-qued chicken and veggies before digging into her birthday cake.

Brinley digging into her birthday cake. Yummy!

Aside from Brinley's party Saturday evening, my nephew/godson, Cole, was baptized after the 4:00PM mass, so it was a VERY busy day for all of us. With that said, it was so nice for everyone to get together and spend time with each other. As you can imagine, I have been chompin' at the bit to meet little Cole, and I have to say that he is just as sweet and cute as can be! Even Brinley enjoyed spending time getting to know him and was anxious to share her toys with him.

My sister-in-law, Emma, my brother, Brandon, the proud godmomma (myself) holding baby Cole and my cousin and the godfather, Trent.

Brinley meeting Cole for the first time. She was in awe!

She was very gentle with him for the most part.

She even wanted to share her giraffe with him!

No comments: